Tuesday, September 30, 2008

chicken eggs

I like to homestead. In my spare time *hah* I would like to really investigate the method by which we could actually become self-sufficient...that is, relying on only ourselves to provide food for our family. So I started last summer with chickens. I had 14 chickens, but by natural selection (okay, we free range our chickens, so we were bound to lose some!) we currently have 9. They lay about 8 nice fresh brown eggs for us per day. Beautiful! Today when I went to gather eggs I found, by far, the largest egg I have EVER seen! I mean, I can't believe this chicken is still alive after laying this egg. I just had to take a picture of it next to a normal sized one.







Here is a picture of Natalie with one of our chickens (taken over the summer).






And a picture of Brian finishing up the chicken coop....

No comments: