Thursday, March 18, 2010

Exercise, Children & Funny Conversations


So I decided since I didn't have a scheduled jog/walk with my good friend Melissa yesterday, I would take my 3 littlest munchkins out for an evening walk while daddy was at scouts and the horse barn with the older 2 kiddos. Hmmmm...all that walking proved to spark some interesting conversations.
It started out with TJ:

Mommy: Say bye to the chickens! (expecting TJ to wave)

TJ: Bock, Bock! (at the top of his lungs)

Mommy: (excitedly) What did you say? (I know, most parents wouldn't be this thrilled that their almost 2 year old said a repetitive word twice, but this child is as stubborn as can be and REFUSES to talk)

TJ: Muhhhhhammmmm.... (pointing at chickens)

Mommy: Come on TJ, say "Bock, Bock"

TJ: (doesn't say a word. Laughs, smiles, and sticks his tongue out).

Lovely. Just Lovely. I give up.

We get about 1/4 mile into our walk with just the normal "Look Mommy! It's a red robin!" sort of talk. Then Kennedy pipes in:

Kennedy: Ewhhhhhh....it smells like Cow Poop!

Natalie: (rolling her eyes) Kennedy, but there isn't a Cow Poop Farm around here!

Kennedy: But it's stinky!

Natalie: Don't you know there are fields that grow cow poop, Kennedy! Look, there isn't any here.

(Kennedy looks thoughtful, and then must have agreed with the advice of the "know-it-all" big sister, because she quits being insistent about the cow poop smell)

About 50 more yards later.

Kennedy: I have to go potty.

Mommy: Kennedy, that is why I told you to go potty BEFORE we went on a walk. Now you are going to have to wait until we get home.

Kennedy: Mommy, your butt is big.

Mommy: Excuse me?

Kennedy: Will mine get big?

Mommy: Um, yes. When you are a mommy.

Kennedy: But I like little butts. When I go potty I almost fall in. You have a big butt. How do you go potty? You not fit.

(And...what do you say to that?)

She must have been on a roll with baffling me. Couldn't have been 2 minutes later:

Kennedy: Mommy, look, this is a fish (looks up at me from the stroller and gives me fishy lips).

Mommy: (Laughs) cute!

5 minutes pass. She must have been really thinking about this one.

Kennedy: But Mommy, I not a fish.

Mommy: No?

Kennedy: I am a girl. Her a girl too. (points to Natalie)

Mommy: She. Kennedy, She's a girl.

Kennedy: TJ is a boy.

Mommy: Yep!

Kennedy: Because him has a potty like daddy.

So glad we have taught our kids to contemplate the cosmos. Or at least the male/female genitalia.

I decided to start quizzing Natalie on addition problems for the remainder of the way home. Seemed like a harmless subject.

No comments: