Tuesday, September 1, 2009

from homeschooling to public schools...in 24 hours.





As most of you know, we intended to homeschool the children this year. Or, I should say that Brian agreed to let me give it a try for the first 9 weeks (first quarter) of school, only to be evaluated at that time. I have spent countless hours researching both the benefits and challenges of homeschooling over the last 5 years, and after we found a wonderful community of about 200 Christian homeschoolers here in the area ( http://www.gbach.org ) we decided to go for it. I had Mackenzie fully on board and Alex was definitely being a sport by saying he would have a positive attitude about it and make it a good experience (he is a social-lite so this was very mature of him). Of course, Natalie was too young to understand...

Anyway, to make a long story short, real life happened. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am willing to go against the grain on issues when I feel strongly about a subject. I can do it with little support on all ends. Really, all I need is the support of my husband. Brian, on the other hand, tends to need the support of many around him...his crazy wife just doesn't suffice when it comes to do something out of the ordinary! :) Brian received a few off handed comments about what people thought about homeschooling (I mean, come on, who hasn't heard of all the stereotypes?), and while I think I could have pushed the issue, I felt as though if I lost the support of Brian then I was going to be set up for failure. And thus, amidst my disappointment and frustration, our children went to public school today.

As Mackenzie would say (she is a "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" fanatic):
When life hands you a lemon, say, "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else ya got?"

or another one:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes.

last one, appropriate from someone like Mario Andretti:

If you feel like you're under control, you're just not going fast enough.

No comments: