Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My reflection on the election...


My reflection on the election...hah...I am a poet and didn't know it! :)

I did devourer the events that went on relentlessly over the TV, radio and internet yesterday. I was not an "Obama Woman" at all. Not that I thought there was anything wrong with him, he just wasn't my first choice. I wanted Mitt Romney (shocker, I guess). And then I voted for John McCain. Traditionally, my value system has always leaned towards the Republicans, though I am not registered with a party. Regardless of who you supported in the past election, it was almost impossible to not be moved and inspired by the images of the millions of people who came to witness Barack Obama's inauguration. I was.

I was inspired by the people I heard on the radio, most choked up with emotion, describing the monumental day that was taking place before our eyes. The thoughts played through my mind of slavery that wasn't so far in our past. What wonderful steps we have taken in the direction of love for all mankind that we would be so honored to respect a black man as our President. I am proud to be an American.

I watch President Obama and I see a man that brings hope and light to a future that looks a bit dreary. I see a young ambitious man ready to take on the world---and I think he will need all of the country behind him. I hope we will gather together as one and fight for all that we have made of this wonderful land.

No comments: