Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Yes, they are all mine...

So funny. When I go out with all five of the kids it is amazing what people do/say/stare/point, etc. My favorite is when they actually count them out loud (I am so proud of you...you can COUNT to five!). I don't know what has happened to my thinking, but I actually don't think 5 kids is that many. Maybe it is due to the company that I choose to associate with. A great girl and her hubby in Washington are on baby #9. My cousin has 10. My aunt and uncle in Flagstaff have 5 and then 3 foster kiddos. My other aunt had 10. Her kids all have an average of 6 or 7...so, I guess 5 just doesn't seem like a lot in comparison.

It seems like, in this culture, you have one, then the second- if you get a girl and a boy everyone expects you to stop. If you have 2 of the same sex, you get to try for a third. If you still don’t get the boy/girl combo, you’re just out of luck. Families that cross the “unspoken three child limit”, well, they’re just one of “those" families.

Once people are done counting, the comments/questions begin:

Wow. You must have the patience of a Saint!
-No, I am not a very patient person. Having several children does not make you a more patient person either! Actually, I think God kept giving me children because patience is something I need to work on, and by having 5 kids, I keep getting it tested day and night!

I couldn't have that many kids, I am too organized of a person!
-I am not, by nature, an organized person. Well, organized by anyone else’s standards. I would have called my style “organized chaos”. It looks chaotic to others, but not to me. I know exactly where everything is. I have only recently started to change and become a more "normal" organized person. This is mainly due to wanting to please my kind and patient hubby! He is oober organized and I know I probably drive him crazy. He never says anything, but I know what he is thinking. So, I try where I can. I do keep a dayplanner that has 7 different categories. That helps with the madness and making sure each child gets where they are supposed to be.

Is your house LOUD?
-Yep. Really, only when Alex and Natalie are around! :) They are our two loudest. But you know what? I wouldn't trade it for a thing. There is always something exciting going on, and always someone to play with.

Are you guys Mormon or Catholic?
-Well, yes, we ARE Mormon, but no, God did not TELL us to have 5 kids. We chose to. This is what life is all about. Breeding? No! Actually liking your husband and kids, and loving the relationship you are in? Yes! I won’t knock people for only having 1, 2 or 15 and no one should knock me for having 5. To each his own, right?

Are you done yet?
-I guess. But I also guess that this isn't any of your business either. No, I haven't been that rude. I normally just smile and say "yes". :)

Truthfully, the best things come from what people say about our family. The lady at storytime is always commenting about how great our kids are. She tells me that I can bring 10 of them if I bring them all like mine. I constantly get people say they would have another one if they were guaranteed as good of a baby as TJ. Then, the people that were apprehensive at first, seem to really warm up. I notice that they will start making excuses like "Oh- I would have had 5 kids, but my two are just SOOOO intense." It's okay, I don't need to hear excuses, really, I don't care how many kids you have, or the reasons why you chose to have the number you did. :)

Off my soap box now. Just some food for thought.

No comments: